Officially my first day of AMS today.
Though there's almost nothing new in the level 5 lab of Dept Immuno & Micro, it's still somewhat exciting - and that's not because I'm not getting paid like I was during summer holidays.
I thought day 1 would be full of red-tape. But turned out my supervisor wasn't organised enough for that - swine flu had struck her the previous week so she had been quite behind and stressed out. So in the end the only red-tape I did was to renew my access card. So, a day 0 instead.
Day 0 turned out to be "educational". In addition to about 20 more papers to read, I strolled across Royal Parade to WEHI, catching sight of Geoff McColl jaywalking towards RMH on my way XD, and fell asleep half way through the Autoimmunity Postdoc seminar so lost track of what the Professor's new findings were... *sigh*
The only useful thing was having a talk with the supervisor regarding the project. What I had found out, much to my surprise, was that I would be required to be absolutely write down everything, and date and get my supervisor to sign every single page of the book... Unfortunately my project will be part of the contracted work our lab does to an external company... hence the extreme pedanticness. If only I am OCD enough...
The rest of the talk was all within my expectations, since I have been in the lab before. Things like "you know you will proabably be working more than 9-5, right?"; "when we have experiments going, you'll be expected to come in on weekends..."; "our internet should not be used for purposes other than work-related... of course, that is not to say you can't game or whatever at all, if you're the only person in the lab at 8 or 9 at night and running a very long experiment." Ah well, such is lab, and I have been expecting the worst anyway since learning that the phD students often come in at 6am and leave at 9pm...
So that's about all for my 1st day. Somewhat sluggish, but then again, the momentum will probably only pick up 1 month into AMS, if I'm lucky.
And now I want to hear everyone else's AMS Day 1 (or Day 0, if you've got a worse than red-tape day like me)... Post away!
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment