I'm back here again after a month of writer's stagnancy... Apologies for random switches of topics in this post because I'm quite tired now.
For the past few weeks life at the lab has been all about brains - cut up brains, glued brains, gDNA and RNA from brains, sectioned brains, stained brains, frozen brains, imaged brains... This strange, sometimes abstract, entity 'the brain' has become something that permeates all levels in my life. I now find it hard to socialize without subconsciously or consciously thinking of brains - whether it's because the person works in an area of research that involves the brain (which is EVERYONE who passes me by in the lab, except the cleaner), or because my lab friends react differently to social situations compared to medical friends (which makes me think of environment interactions and brain plasticity), or because I'm so worried when my lab techniques troubleshooting isn't progressing that I bore any person who stands beside me with all the details of my pain and frustration. With that last point, I feel sorry for Rahul :p. Dear me .. he must be scarred now.. ^^
So far I've been enjoying work here in the lab. I like the buzz, the laughs, the talking to rats part, the exhilaration when you find there is glimmer of hope that a technique problem can be solved, the challenge when you're perfecting a technique, and (as all poor med students like) the constant inflow of free food :p. Free food can be found everywhere. If you're free enough to search throughout the hospital, you'll find free meals almost everyday, morning and lunch ;D
Besides the free food, working in the lab also provides the opportunity to bask in the glory of some seriously respectable people. Terry O’Brien and Margaret Morris at lunchtime and meetings, Neil Strathmore and Geoff McColl at the lifts in the mornings :D. I’m such a nerdy fan of people involved in education/research :p. Apparently I’m not the only one being a nerdy fan – occasionally Mithun would drop by for lunch and give us a very ambitious talk on meeting the ‘Big Dogs’.
But perhaps what makes up the most enjoyable experience in the lab are the people working in it full time. For one, I’m glad that Rahul is always there with me and always keeps me company at lunchtime, in the office, etc. An interesting yet embarrassing confession to make is that I occasionally sing in the lab when there’s only the two of us doing work(mainly because it can get quite boring) :p. . Other than Rahul, I’m thankful that I have friendly supervisor Nigel who is actually quite child at heart – something that this immature person in me can relate to (besides to Rahul). Therefore, I feel comfortable around my supervisor, a little too comfortable perhaps. Sometimes I hurl some childish taunts at him and start some taunting war, jokingly, of course. Amusingly, he is also like a dad to me – telling me not to run in lab everytime I do so (which is almost 80% of my moving around time anyways). Guess I’m a bit of a handful as a student. The other people around in the lab are also incredibly helpful, with those precious few always being around to help you whenever you need help. Help is often invaluable when you’re new in the lab. They do it so willingly too, despite being so consumingly busy with their own work. However, conflicts do happen when a few people get annoyed with my supervisor for asking them to work on my project and show their frustration at me although I’m not in the position to make decisions. Sometimes I’ve shed tears over it in front of Rahul, but I pick myself back up eventually. :)
Ok, I’ve written a little too much now so it’s time to stop here. New update, in tomorrow’s journal club, Rahul’ll be presenting. Good luck Rahuligan! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment