Friday, August 7, 2009

The long journey

So it's been a month into AMS, and the journey to go is still long

Well, for me, it seems that everyday, my journey to AMS is long enough. 1.5 hours there and back is taking a lot out of me.

I'm tired by the time I get to the lab. I sit at the microscope and stare at stains of muscle...and it all looks the same. I stare at genetic sequencing results, and every peak looks like a genetic mutation. I sit in meetings where world-class clinical geneticists and neurologists discuss rare cases of muscular dystrophy without a definite proteomic or genetic diagnosis. And I'm interested, but not much really filters through to that space in my skull called "brain."

So I'm investigating novel proteins and their potential role in muscle disease. Stabbing in the dark and testing patients for abnormalities in proteins that may only have been studied in mouse models or stand alone proteomic assays. I love it as a research topic, I really do.

But what I really love more is sleep.

2 comments:

  1. awww... I share your pain!!! which is why I've been too tired to post blogs here...
    keep hanging on, I'm sure things would get better... Although probably not the commuting, which is the same for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love commuting, I get to leave the house early and come back late :D

    Wow. Did I just say that?

    ReplyDelete