On Thursday the mobile blood bank came to RCH. I dropped in to see if they had any appointments and the lady said I could do it right then. I'd had lunch before, and I was bored, so I happily agreed. I filled out all the enrolment and history forms, and proceeded to the cubicle where the Red Cross worker would put me on the system and test my haemoglobin levels.
*Prick*
A quick jab to the side of the tip of my left ring finger. Ouch. I chatted briefly about the glucose test we did in first year uni as she squeezed out a few droplets of bright-red lifejuice, the final drops onto a cute little glass slide.
One to two minutes after the initial prick, it was still very painful, and I told her this. It was then that a foreboding fist of nausea began to burn in my belly. "Oh SHIT," I thought.
"Do you need to lie down?"
"I don't think so."
"Are you sure?"
---
And, naturally, I rise, my vision begins to fuzz over, like TV static, and I'm lowered to the floor, legs elevated, and there are three or four people looking down at me, one pressing a cold towel to my head, the other wiping one around my neck, the other saying "I don't think you should give blood today..."
After a few minutes, I get up, and am directed to "Go! Eat Cheese! Biscuits! Cheese! Eat Cheese!" I do so (well, I eat biscuits but not the cheese... it was that cute little wrapped stuff that I loved when I was a kid).
Sigh.
---
The strange thing is, the pin-prick point is still extremely sensitive when I touch it or fully extend the finger, even 2 days after the event. Explanations, anyone?
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aww... :( Is it still sensitive?
ReplyDeleteyes, even today, 6 days after the event. SIGH
ReplyDelete