Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another weeks flies by...

I realised that this weekend I will have been here for two months... one sixth of my time overseas. In many ways, I'm glad; it brings me closer to my trip to Turkey, to winter, and to China. It also brings closer the end of what is proving to be a rather boring time, as far as work and everyday life goes...

I don't feel intellectually stimulated by my work at the moment, and I feel quite disconnected from medicine. I would rather get my results as quickly as possible, write up my thesis and a paper, and then spend 6 months enjoying myself, than drag it all out over such a long period. Over the year, I'm sure that I will end up doing some interesting work, and I will hopefully have the chance to publish a paper or two, but it's not a good thing that I don't feel engaged with the work I am doing. I think that the problem is that there's no real context for what I am doing; investigating the role and function of a protein. Useful knowledge, maybe, but not directly relevant to anything, and I won't be the one to use the knowledge in the development of therapy...

Hopefully seeing my cousin this weekend and actually doing something different will allow me to refocus.

2 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... time to be more social? :P (re: your lecture i've recently received)

    ReplyDelete