Sunday, January 17, 2010

The last sunday

Sorry James, no holiday blogs yet. You know, writer's block. (actually, in my case it's the AMS block.)
So today marks the last sunday before I start injecting mice again and no longer have a weekend. Therefore I wanted to have a proper weekend.

And it was fun :). My grans, my mum and I went to NGV and saw the "Chinoserie" collection. I had planned to see the other collections too, but soon realised that in fact, visiting art galleries requires stamina. We soon reached a point of brain saturation with paintings and chinas and the like, compounded with the grumbles in our stomachs. I'm sure stamina develops with exposure, but for noobies such as us, it was enough art to call a day.

Where to lunch? They asked. At the same time my mind must've started its autocleaning and it went blank. Well, somewhere relatively close...grans' legs are tired. And somewhere relatively good...fussy eaters they are, and fussier when it's unaccustomed western cuisine (for I could not, for the life of me, think of any decent Chinese restaurant around Flinders Station/Fed Square/Arts Centre area). "Okay, we could try Degraves St."

Which turned out to be a good choice, except that Degraves was as usual packed with people, therefore we sat outside, chilled by the drizzle and wind. "Degraves Espresso" (I think???) was the cafe, chosen at random, and risotto, omelette, panini and French toast were our orders. Food was nice, the risotto superb and the smoked salmon & spinach omelette doubly superb. With my grans' watchful "no-waste-food" eyes, I lamented in my head that there's no such thing here as petit portion...

We also got hot chocolate and tea just to combat the chill, and at the end, I poured the thick syrupy chocolate, left over tea and milk together, and created a warm reminiscence of the instant milk teas in china, that comes in a paper cup in power form with with small cubes of jelly/coconut and a big plastic straw. Those were good moments...

Things were rather comical after that. First it was a group of mudpeople doing their mud yelps and dancing around in a circle on Flinders. Then there was a street artist performing on fed square in a tight one-sie, dirtydancing with some other guys... And, to end our day out on an epic note, we wandered into a gay & lesbian festival thingy in Alexandra Gardens, where gazbos shaded stalls selling rainbow patterned fake tattoos and male underwear...

PS: There's a new restaurant called "Petalling Street Malaysian Hawker Food" on Kingsway in Glen Waverley, which seems to be always packed with people. I've tried it twice and thought the food was nice, but can someone who knows of Malaysian food come and verify its authenticity? Can others without knowledge of Malaysian food come and verify that it's food?XP (i.e. Hong's lame excuse for a catch-up)

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment