In the light of having plenty to whine yet nothing much to actually tell, I'll write on the boring subject of marshaling at the GP Exam.
This is the exit OSCE exam for aspiring GP reg's. While it can be taken at any stage of GP training, most candidates sit for it in their last year... which can be pretty sad for those that I have seen 3 years in a row.
The 14 OSCE stations can range from basic to very challenging; purely Q&A to procedural skills. A marshal's job entails ensuring smooth transition of candidates between each station, bringing them water and escorting them to toilets, and making sure they're not doing what they're not supposed to do. It really is a easy job - therefore not surprisingly boring after the first hour. Apart from looking after an unbelievable number of nerve-stricken candidates, who's cerebrum automatically shuts off and therefore cannot see signs, are unable read their names on the name sheet, and fail to hear instructions, there is not much else to do. And as long as one is vigilant at recognising such lost sheep and provide babysitting service promptly, any drama can be avoided.
Because I've marshaled for a number of times now, I became the lead marshal for Sunday afternoon's session @ RWH. An even easier job, because rather than being stationed at a particular position and watching over that whole area, I was the roamer - which actually means that I don't need to do anything at all. I did attempt to make myself useful, by volunteering for the occasional water jug refills, chatting with the College admin staff, and sometimes strolling around, smiling at everyone and asking "everything cool?" The rest of my time were spent either at my Spanish workbook, which I did pathetically little of, or in front of mountainload of very yummy free food... muffins, yogurt slices, fruit cakes, croissants, biscuits, sandwiches, rolls, puffs, salads, nectarines, apples, pears, bananas, melons, pineapples, strawberries, dried nuts, dried fruits. By the end of 6 and half hours I concluded that GPs, too, are a contributing factor to obesity.
So when this finally ended we counted the marking sheets, mused ourselves with glimpse of not-so-nice examiner comments on candidates who I have seen 3 years in a row. And then as the marshals get their $80 gift voucher, I get $120 for my "additional troubles". Mmm, not complaining =).
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Money and free food... what could be better? Almost 22 days! :D
ReplyDelete